My Progression With Bitcoin Mining

It was early December 2013 when I finally decided to start mining bitcoin.  I looked at usb miners and the like but finally settled on the ACICMiner Blade V2.  It has 32 BE100 ASIC mining chips in 8 rows of 4.  At that particular time it was quite an investment, but ROI calculators indicated that it could pay for it'self in about 90 days.  I set up a laptop running a fresh install of Xubuntu and and a copy of Python and Slush's stratum mining software.

Enter Blade 1
Blade 1, My first Mining Blade December 2013
Off to a great start, the blade was up and running once I had the stratum proxy configured properly to mine at Eligius...
If one blade is good, two would be better, right?
Enter Blade 2
Blade 1 and 2 mining away in early December 2013
These two were just within limits of a 350W ATX power supply I had.  Each blade pulls 6A, so I was pulling 12A on a rail capable of 16A.

Enter Blade Backplane
An ASICMiner 10 Blade Backplane
The Backplane populated with 3 blades now and a 1000w HP power supply.  Each blade has two 120mm cooling fans.
Three Blades in the Backplane
Eventually there were 6 blades churning away on the backplane -
6 Blades in the backplane
Eventually the standard 10.7GH from these blades wasn't enough and I ventured off into overclocking them.  I used a bit of information from the bitcoin forum (with many thanks to Sidehack) as well as some of my own experimentation and tweaking.  I developed a reversible oscillation speed by using a jumper to disable the stock oscillator and enable the newly installed oscillator on the un-populated pads the green V2 boards typically have.  This eliminates the need to de-solder the stock oscillator from the board with a hot air station, which most people may not have handy.

Needless to say, it's a bit nerve racking to start soldering away on a pretty expensive piece of hardware, so things get a bit messy.  Here's  a look at my workstation after a night of overclocking my first board.  A crazy mess.

Eventually all blades were overclocked to ~13.4 GH running an average of 13.2.  Cooling them off became an interesting issue once they were all running 30% faster.  I had to pull 120V fans from anywhere I could to get enough air in-between the blades and have a few fans on the other side to pull the air away.  Exhaust temperatures measured ~120 degrees at the exhaust.  

Here's a look at 5 blades running overclocked, all fans I could find and a blade off to the side for testing. 
A bit blurry, but you get the idea - 
All Blades Overclocked
A snapshot of 5 blades overclocked to ~13.2GH
I posted this because I realized that I enjoy reading about and seeing what other people are doing and experiencing in the Bitcoin community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Technobit HEX16a Bitcoin Miner

Advanced Cooling of the Technobit HEX16